Sabah FC has not yet made a definitive decision regarding the plans for the construction of a new stadium that would provide complete facilities and enhance the comfort for the increasing number of football spectators and supporters in the state.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Sabah FC, Marzuki Nasir, stated that the plans are still subject to financial capabilities and the selection of a suitable site, which will be discussed with the upcoming High Committee of the Sabah Football Association (SAFA).
He mentioned that Sabah FC indeed has a long-term plan to have its own football stadium equipped with comprehensive facilities, ensuring that the spectator capacity can be increased for every match.
“The proposal for the construction of a new stadium received a reaction among netizens last week. I made some comments regarding this stadium,” he said in a statement released in Kota Kinabalu.
Marzuki stated that Sabah FC believes that the construction of the new stadium will be able to accommodate a spectator capacity of 15,000 to 20,000 for each match.
“I said before that it doesn’t have to be too big, but we will try to minimize the expenses to ensure its realization in the future. Let it be a football stadium alone… There’s no need for a track or anything. We just want to build it as a dedicated football stadium,” he said.
Marzuki mentioned that it depends on SAFA’s decision since they are the owners of Sabah FC, or it could be decided by potential new owners, as starting from 2023, each football team will be fully privately owned after being owned by state football associations, and from January 1, 2024, onwards,” he added.